Friday, January 17, 2014

Sable Island revisited

For the last four or five years, after the busy urgency of fall craft fair season an Christmas, I have routinely devoted the winter months to my art practice.  Last year was a bit of a hiatus as I devoted my energies to renovating our school house home.  This winter, now that we are living in our school house, I am carving out some time for art over the next few months.  And a great motivator is deadlines.  The first weekend in February, I will be taking part in the Atlantic Craft Trade Show (ACTS) in the Gallery@ACTS.  The Gallery@ACTS showcases one-of-a-kind artwork from fine craft artists from the Atlantic provinces, inviting commercial galleries from across Canada and the US to check us out.  The weekend will be full of workshops, seminars and on-on-one meetings with the gallery owners - all with the goal of finding markets for my work. 

I will be showing three works in the Gallery@ACTS, all made in the last 3 years.  Over the last few days, I've been revisiting my Sable Island piece, woven in 2011.  Using hand embroidery, I overlaid the contour of an early map of Sable Island (Blunt, 1897) over the current shape of the island in woven inlay (taken from Google Earth).  My goal is to highlight the shifting sands of this giant sand dune over time.  I also embroidered a compass in the top right corner to emphasize the directionality of the island and its role in the shipwrecks of many sailing vessels over the centuries.


1 comment: