Wednesday, November 14, 2012

support a P.E.I artisan

When I found out I had been chosen as the recipient of the 2012 W.B. Bruce European Fine Art Travel Scholarship, I felt pretty darn lucky.  The chance to travel Sweden and research a subject I am crazy about - hand-weaving.  I did receive a nice chunk of change from the Brucebo Foundation to complete my travels and research, but traveling is expensive. Staying in hostels, buying supermarket groceries to make my own meals, traveling as much as possible by public transit...even when traveling on a budget, these things add up when one is traveling for five plus weeks.

So, I sought out some supplementary funding. I applied for a Professional Development Grant from the Prince Edward Island Craft Council and I was successful.  This extra bit of money helped me make the most of my incredible opportunity.  And now I am back home on PEI, with a wealth of experience and exposure to Swedish textiles to share with the arts/craft community here.  And research that will influence my weaving practice for years to come. 

(My most recent weaving since returning from Sweden:  a small run of cotton and linen tea/hand towels...definitely influenced by all the incredible table linens I saw in Sweden)

The P.E.I Craft Council just launched an Indigogo campaign as a fundraiser for their Professional Development Fund.  The money raised will go directly to Island artisans who are seeking to improve their skill set and expose themselves to greater challenges within their given discipline.  This could mean attending workshops, traveling to mount an exhibition, or supplement a research project like my own.  As one of the most recent recipients of the PEICC Professional Development Grant, I was asked to lend a hand by appearing in the short mini doc produced by film-maker Rachael Hicken and talking about my experience and the value of this funding for Island craftspeople and artists.....click on the link below to take a look and if you would like to donate, you have a chance to contribute to the further education and development of our rich pool of Island talent.

http://vimeo.com/53051291

No comments:

Post a Comment