Monday, June 4, 2012

Ewe and Dye Weavery, you and I at the beach

This past Saturday Damien and I drove out to Victoria-By-The-Sea, a sweet little village on the south shore of PEI.  I had to finally get around to bringing my Swedish lace scarves and two small wall hangings out to Christine Stanley's Ewe and Dye Weavery shop.

 Before bringing Christine two handwoven wall hangings I made back in 2009 for my Home Terrain exhibit (at the Confederation Centre Art Gallery), I decided they needed some identification.  I embroidered the titles, dates and my name onto cotton labels and then stitched them onto the backs of the works.


Christine and her husband Malcolm Stanley are pillars of PEI craft - she is a weaver and he is a potter, and they have built an inspiring life for themselves here since they moved from New Brunswick in the 1970s.  Christine has opened up an exclusively fibre-based shop in a century old home in Victoria for the summer (bought by her wonderful daughter as a summer home/fibre playhouse for her mother).  This was my first time out and the place is fantastic.  The shop carries Christine's own weaving, hooked rugs, and yarns and fleece from her sheep, as well as the work of other Island weavers, knitters, felters, and textile artists.  I obviously took some pictures while we were there:

 Christine's handwoven wool pillow cases.

 Christine's handwoven linen, cotton and silk shawls.

 Christine's rag rugs (her rugs make me want clothe a whole house in rugs!).

Then Damien and I went for a walk on the nearby beach.  If the photo above was bigger, you'd be able to see the giant Confederation Bridge in the distance.

 I found the largest live moonsnail I've ever seen.

 I mean really big!!

I discovered that these strange collar like rubbery forms I've found before on the beach are created by these giant moonsnails.  They seem to be made of particles of sand glued together with some kind of secretion from the snail.  The shape must be made by the round shape of the snail itself...some kind of winter hibernation?

And Damien found a whole bunch of living sand dollars (except for the white one at the top).  They are a heathery purple when alive, covered in fine hairs that glistened in the sunshine as they moved.  I have only very rarely found a sand dollar in my life, always white and dead - this was my first time seeing living ones, and so many of them!  A magical afternoon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment