Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!

After two weeks of socializing, sleeping in late (and staying up late), reading, watching movies, going for wintry walks - I'm ready to get back into a routine. I'm ready to make art and research and weave away the winter.

Just before Christmas, I received a book about Swedish rep weaves by Laila Lundell...this was a gift ordered for myself to simultaneously satisfy my curiosity about Swedish weaving traditions and rep weave rugs. My first rug project is on the loom (see photos above): a long rug for our bedroom to warm feet when we hop in and out of bed. Rep weave is a simple plain weave structure, the magic occurs because of the close sett of the warp threads binding in the thicker weft, while a thin weft allows for repeat treadling (like in overshot). My warp is made up of natural linen and blue cotton, my weft is three strands of thick wool.


This is one of my favourite photos from the Rep Weave book: love the blues and the combination of the rug and wall hanging....my only question: where's all the bedroom clutter (ie. books and clothes on the floor)??

I also manged to finish up a custom order I received in December at Halifax Crafters' (the aqua scarf in the middle is for Heidi).

And today, four back issues of Selvedge magazine arrive in my mailbox. I ordered these over a month ago to improve my textile library, keep abreast of contemporary fibre art, thought, and design, and basically spark my imagination as I settle into a productive winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment