Sunday, February 27, 2011

exponential growth

"Exponential growth occurs when the growth rate of a mathematical function is proportional to the function's current value. In the case of a discrete domain of definition with equal intervals it is also called geometric growth."

I've applied the principles of exponential growth directly to the growth patterns of circular (spiral) crochet: for each stitch that I am stitching onto to keep "building", I create two new stitches. This means every time I make a full round, I am doubling the amount of stitches from the previous round - 4 stitches in first round, 8 stitches in second, 16 in third, 32 in fourth, etc. What happens is that the exponential growth is creating too much material too quickly and therefore needs to ruffle to accommodate the growth.....the flat circle quickly becomes a sphere.

After humming and hawing over what to do for the "thing itself" project for my Science into Art class in a previous post, I decided to focus on mathematical principles applied directly to technique and material.

1 comment:

  1. You have a really wonderful blog. Thoughtful, beautiful, and a rich blend of influences. I am sorry you've stopped! It's great to meet another blogger who is working in the tension between "women's work" and contemporary art.

    ReplyDelete