Wednesday, February 2, 2011

dune

I think I'm on the mend. Today I have more energy than I've had the last two days.

I managed to finish my third island which I started yesterday. A dune island: long and bright, like the sand spits that extend along the north shore of PEI and glow golden on summer afternoons.
Because they are constructed of sand, they are easily breached by storm surges and sea level rises. Year to year, shorelines made up of dunes are dramatically altered and are often the first pieces of land to become separated from the larger land masses. Really happy with how this one turned out...I will now turn my attention to making smaller islands.

This is a photo I took from BJ Sandford's blog, a glass artist on PEI. She took this after a severe winter storm over Christmas. This is a sand dune on the north shore of PEI that was literally transported away from the shore and out towards the water by the power of waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment