Saturday, February 12, 2011

disappearing shore

For the past week, I've been going to North Pocket Studio almost everyday to work on a new piece on my Cranbrook loom. The piece is a long, vertical cloth, depicting four aerial photographs of West Point, PEI spanning the years 1958, 1974, 1990, and 2000.

The changes to the profile of the coast are dramatic. I've simplified the images in my weaving so that the I am only using one colour for the water and a different colour for the land, both in very neutral browns.

Once the piece is off the loom, I plan on going back in and embroidering the images to delineate the sedimentary plumes in the water (which you can see in the original black and white photos), as well as mapping the historical shore profiles as progressive erosion occurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment