Thursday, January 6, 2011

structure

Before Christmas, Damien told me about a course being offered at NSCAD for the upcoming winter semester that would be a great fit for my 'liminal project'. A studio sculpture class taught by Thierry Delva called "Science into Art". My thinking was that maybe Thierry would allow me to sit in on the class (I don't need the credit) and I could integrate the assignments and dialogue into my art practice this winter.

The class started yesterday afternoon and I went down the NSCAD's port campus fifteen minutes before the class started, found Thierry's office, introduced myself and explained a bit about my work and wanting to sit in the on the class. The registration for the class was originally full, but less than half the students showed up for the first class, so it looks like I'm in.

I think this is just what I need: a weekly 5 hour class that can provide me with structure, dialogue, critiques, and general conceptual stimulation. It gives me the opportunity to discuss ideas within an academic context and will challenge and enhance my own working methods and conceptual practice. Every week we'll be bringing materials to class and working (it is a studio based course) with the expectation of completing a minimum of three projects throughout the semester. One of our first assignments is to make a list of sciences, a simple brainstorming activity. From this list, we will dig for ideas as the basis for our work. It is not a science class, but will use science as a tool in service to contemporary art-making. I'm thinking of building a small frame loom that I can take with me, building components like puzzle pieces that can be made and/or installed into larger works.

On my way home from class yesterday, I picked up a book published by Nova Scotia press Nimbus Publishing called "The Last Billion Years: a Geological History of the Maritime Provinces of Canada", written by the Atlantic Geoscience Society. An amazing resource for understanding the formation and transformation of our coastlines over time.
I also wanted to post an image of a painting by Halifax artist Peter Dykhuis (alos director of Dalhousie Art Gallery) who uses satellite and radar imaging and data to create work. This piece is "datapainting.1 (Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream / WorldCom)"; 2003, encaustic on 14 panels.

1 comment:

  1. what a great idea! I love being still involved in the academic environment, it really keeps me on my toes.

    ReplyDelete