Wednesday, January 5, 2011

new year

I returned to Halifax on Monday after more than two weeks on PEI. Nice to get back. The last day or two has been spent puttering, cleaning, and re-settling in. And contemplating the winter and spring ahead. I am in the very lucky position right now to have the next five months to devote almost completely to my art practice. The prospect of being able to completely absorb myself in the creation of a new body of work is thrilling, and terrifying at the same time. I bought myself the time through a creation grant that I received from the NS government, and the seasonal money-making nature of my scarf production.

The new work I want to create will explore the liminal spaces of our coastlines, that romantic dangerous space that is always in a state of flux. The work will be textile based, with hand-weaving obviously playing an important role, but I want to push my work into three dimensions integrating new ways of working to really bring my work away from the wall. My art practice requires a very different way of working than my production work. In the next few days, I'm going to have to sit down with a plan for research, play and creation.

While I was on PEI, I made a trip to Belfast Mini Mills. I bought bags of dyed merino fleece which I intend to spin into yarn to use in my work this winter. Aside from producing amazing fibres for sale, Mini Mills also has a few animals frollicking in the sunshine. This time, we saw alpacas, a cow, and a sheep with an extreme underbite.

No comments:

Post a Comment