Tuesday, November 23, 2010

thank you St. John's

Well, I made it back home in one piece yesterday. The temperature has dropped dramatically since I left Halifax almost two weeks ago - winter is in the air and it feels cozy. It feels good to be home, in part because I've been fighting swollen tonsils and some kind of sickness since Saturday (maybe strep?). Aside from being under the weather the last two days of the St. John's Christmas Craft Fair, it was a lovely show. A big thank you to everyone who came by my booth to chat or buy a scarf. Here's a smattering of photos to make up for two weeks without any blog posts:

My booth display under the bright lights. Very happy to have my little mannequin along to model....

Since this was my first fair of the season, I had an abundance of scarves. Too many to crowd onto my hanging racks. So, I borrowed a tall shelf from my aunt and uncle's where I was staying and it worked perfectly to house my surplus.

colours, colours.....

....and more colours. And textures.

I had three days off last week between the two four day sections of the fair. I took some walks downtown and finally made it to the Rooms, Newfoundland and Labrador's provincial art gallery and archives. The view from the Rooms is stunning and made vivid through the ginormous plate glass windows: all of St. John's spread out before you with Signal Hill keeping an eye over everything.

In the museum part of the Rooms, they had a display about the Products of Industry in Newfoundland and Labrador, particularly the domestic industries involving women and textiles arts. I stumbled upon this beautiful photo from the archives of a woman weaving at what looks like a home-made loom. I too am a woman of industry....

I noticed while walking the streets of St. John's that garbage bags are always placed under these fishing nets. My guess is that it's to keep out raccoons and other scoundrels who like to eat trash. Whatever the case, I love that in a city that has so relied historically on the fishery, that you see this reflected in the netting used to protect their rubbish...

And lastly, I stopped and took a photo of the first house my mother bought when I was a mere babe in arms. This is 52 Monkstown Road. My first childhood memories are in this house: learning to whistle, eating my lunch in the backyard in the summer sun. I think she bought it for something as little as $28,000. Today, the cost of housing is soaring in St. John's and you'd be hard pressed to find anything under $200,000.

In coming posts I will write more about my experience in St. John's, as well as some insights I had into the direction I would like my production weaving practice to go.....but for now, I need to take care of myself and work on feeling better for the next craft fair this weekend here in Halifax.

5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I am so glad that you had a good show ... the house on Monkstown Rd is a stones throw from my sister's on Freshwater Road ... thank you for the photographs. I wish you all the best for the rest of your season.
    Best wishes,
    barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that after all these years seeing you at the Craft Fair I finally bought a scarf! Sadly, it is a gift... but next year I'll get one for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous display you have - love, love it! Did you build the wooden frame yourself or did you purchase it somewhere? I would love to find one for my silks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was lovely to be perched next to you for one week of the fair!

    By the way, there's no raccoons on the island. I think the city city started the nets on garbage day to keep the seagulls off.

    ReplyDelete