Monday, November 8, 2010

comfort and joy

So, my second post today - I hardly ever do this - but I wanted to show off this one-of-a-kind scarf I just finished up. I made it especially for the Craft Council of Newfoundland and Labrador's Comfort and Joy exhibition which opens at Devon House in St. John's on December 4th (it will be for sale!). I'll take it with me when I fly to St. John's this Wednesday for the Christmas Craft Fair and hand it off to Sharon, the gallery coordinator.


The warp is raw silk and the weft is cotton. Before weaving, I wound two separate warps and dip dyed each of them: one warp shifting from pale straw to deep burnt orange, and the other warp shifting from a pale periwinkle grey all the way to a deep teal/blue. When threading the loom, I used a modified twill, alternating stripes of each warp and using a bright fire engine red cotton for the weft. Very very happy with it, love the transition of colours from one end of the scarf to the other with the stripe juxtoposition. I'm a little tempted to keep it for myself.......

2 comments: