Thursday, October 14, 2010

tube

Some shots of a double weave sample done on my eight harness Cranbrook loom. A tubular structure: two layers of cloth woven simultaneously connected along the selvedges. The top layer is raw silk and the bottom layer is merino wool (with a much looser sett), both warp. The weft is coloured cotton.

Here you can see both layers of cloth with their connected selvedge running down the center.

Pre-felting, inside of tube.

Post felting: I just tossed it in the washing machine with some towels and the looser merino warp shrunk and felted right up, making the raw silk bubble out.

Post-felting: inside of tube.
My original idea was to use double weave to design a new scarf for differential shrinkage, but I think the cloth would just be too thick....But learning and adapting the very basics of double weave has been a great exercise and I have just tapped the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment