Wednesday, October 6, 2010

audio refresher

I always listen to CBC radio while I work at home in my studio. This morning, the radio reception was crackly and annoying, so I decided to put on some music. For some reason, I have really grown away from listening to music or searching out new music. The times when I listen to music the most these days is at friends' houses. When I was a teenager, music was a really big part of my life and identity, but somehow as I've gotten older it's gotten pushed aside. I know that part of this is that I am not a musician and am primarily a visual person, and as I immerse myself more and more in a career rooted in the visual arts and crafts, my relationship to music gets pushed to the periphery. But, music can have a huge effect on how I feel and can really lift me up and see myself and life through fresh eyes, it can allow me to tap into emotions and ideas I didn't know were there. So, this morning I bought two new albums on iTunes, including Julie Doiron's newest record I can wonder what you did with your day. The last song on the album, Glad to be alive, made my morning. I couldn't figure out how to write this post and have the YouTube video in the same post, so you can watch it in the post above, performed live by Julie.

No comments:

Post a Comment