Sunday, September 26, 2010

woomph

My partner Damien has just started his final year of his BFA at NSCAD University here in Halifax. Most of his recent work has been focused on painting and I feel his work is barreling forward in leaps and bounds. If he gives me permission, I will post some images that are more representative of his current painting practice, but for now, I wanted to share a painting he did of me at the loom. This was an assignment for a Snapshot Painting class he took over the summer, and his first painted "portrait" of me. I especially love the bottom portion, the multiple angles of my hands, the shuttle, and the warp threads in sepia tones. The piece is called Woomph, just like the sound the loom makes when I'm weaving.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really sweet piece Rilla. I hope he's proud of his work...I spoke to a painters recently who said he would sooner destroy his work if he didn't like it so much! I can't imagine!
    I look forward to seeing more of Damien's work.Thanks
    cheers

    ReplyDelete