Thursday, September 16, 2010

twisting

A shot of a batch of four Horizon scarves, all from the same warp, ready to have their fringes twisted. This is an activity which takes place while I sit cross-legged on the couch, cushion on my lap with scarf secured around it, and use my trusty four-pronged fringe twister to tame the warp threads into orderly tassels. *Some notes on the fabrics in this photo: the red striped cloth covers our old couch, a large cotton blanket that Damien had when we moved in together; the turquoise and black cushion cover is cloth I designed and screen-printed when I was a textiles student at NSCAD; the little bit of gray wool twill you can see on the right is a McAusland's blanket made on PEI given to me by my parents for Christmas about 8 years ago.

3 comments:

  1. The Horizon design is incredible! Your work is so vibrant and intricate and soft. Your blog always makes me smile. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find fringe twisting to be slow & tedious. (And warping isn't? Ha.)Maybe I need a quadruple fringe twister instead of a double.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, a quadruple fringe twister is almost twice as fast - I twist two sets of tassels at a time.

    ReplyDelete