Friday, August 6, 2010

to market to market

Today I realized I had to get to work on this art project for an upcoming exhibition in PEI. The idea is that artists in four provinces (PEI, NS, NB, NL) contribute an unfinished piece and then complete another one of the artists' unfinished artworks. The finished works will be exhibited at the Confederation Centre Art Gallery in Charlottetown, Gallery Connexion in Fredericton, and Eastern Edge Gallery in St. John's. Any medium, the pieces are assigned randomly.


I got a small painting by NB artist Derek Davidson of a market scene at the Fredericton farmer's market. Just the first gestural start in acrylic on canvas. I've been humming and hawing over what to do with it for weeks and it's now deadline time. After removing the canvas from the stretcher, drawing on the painting with pencil crayon and pen, cutting out the shapes of two individual figures and the cluster of people....I still couldn't see what I wanted to make from it when I realized it was crunch time this morning.


But I think I'm on the right track now: I'm going to make a market bag out of cotton canvas. I traced the horizon line of a market crowd using the cut outs of the figures from the painting like stencils. I dyed the canvas with onion skins (drying outside on the line right now), and I plan on embroidering the crowd horizontally across the cloth and then sewing it into a shoulder bag of some kind....

No comments:

Post a Comment