This week has been a week of juggling multiple tasks. I've started work on an article I'm writing about MacAusland's Woolen Mill for Fibre Quarterly; spent yesterday morning at my "other" studio (North Pocket Studio), until it got unbearably hot - we need to invest in a studio fan; and this morning I was zooming around on my bike dropping off rent cheques and hitting up Fabricville. And in between those things, I've managed to dye eight scarves and finish weaving four scarves.
At Fabricville this morning, I bought $40 worth of ribbon in all the colours I could find for this particular type of matte ribbon. I'm hiring my friend and studio mate Keeley McLean to screenprint cloth labels for my scarves. They will be printed right onto the ribbon and then each label cut apart, ironed, and sewn onto my scarves. It's about time I have cloth labels for my scarves: all the hundreds and hundreds (maybe a thousand??) of scarves I've put out into the world, and once the hang tags are cut off, there's no way to trace them back to me - makes me kinda sad, maybe I'm anthropomorphizing them a wee bit...? And, I feel really good about hiring Keeley to print them for me instead of ordering them from some random company in Toronto.
What I was finishing up yesterday morning at North Pocket Studio was a prototype for some cotton and linen baby blankets I want to make for this fall's craft fairs. At first I was thinking I would use cotton for the warp and tabby weft, and wool for pattern weft, but hanging out with a friend who just had a baby, I changed my mind. The baby may be allergic to wool, and you don't want them to overheat. So, for this one I used a lovely blueish-green linen for the pattern weft and a rosy pale plum for the cotton warp and tabby weft. I've folded and hand-stiched the ends. It's still a substantial cloth, and will keep the baby cozy, but without any potential itch factor.