Thursday, April 22, 2010

St. Peter's Island

After setting up my large loom at North Pocket Studio with a overshot warp, I've spent the last couple of weeks playing around and getting comfortable with this traditional blanket-weaving technique. This week, I got started on a piece that integrates my previous inlay work with overshot patterning while continuing the exploration of Atlantic coastlines that I started last summer during the tail end of my body of work that comprised my exhibition "Home Terrain" at the Confederation Centre Art Gallery. I have a few really strong ideas about where I want to go with my new work: using traditional blanket-weaving patterning, I want my work to explore changes to real and imagined shorelines, small coastal islands of the Atlantic Canada. I'm really interested in how these changes shape our shores - brought about by tides, rising sea levels, storms, and human development.


As my first woven piece since last summer, I decided to re-visit Rice Point, PEI. The last piece I did last summer in preparation for "Home Terrain" was also of Rice Point, though my current interpretation of that shoreline now includes St. Peter's Island. When I lived in Rice Point from ages 10 -17, you could (and still can) walk out to St. Peter's Island when the tide was out, the sandbars creating a natural causeway that was otherwise hidden by water. There are still some abandonned farmhouses out there, just like many small coastal islands on the East Coast, left over from an era when people actually lived out there. There was a legend that on some nights you could hear cows mooing from St. Peter's Island, cows that had wandered over when the tide was out, and then got stuck, never to return to the shore again.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Rilla! This is absolutely beautiful!

    ~ApRiL~

    ReplyDelete