Monday, April 12, 2010

overshot

After the open house at the new studio on Saturday, I was very motivated to make my way there yesterday, Sunday, to keep working on my weaving. It was beautiful and sunny and I had the studio all to myself for the better part of the afternoon and early evening.

This threading is for a "crackle" overshot weave. Depending on the order in which I press the pedals, there are 9 variations of woven pattern that can be created. I have so far tried 2 of the treadlings (or pedallings) and made them seamlessly transition from one into the next while shifting pattern colours.

Overshot weaving involves two weft shuttles, one containing your pattern yarn (in my case, this is my handspun wool, one ply, brown and then shifting to a dark, indigo dyed blue), and the other containing your tabby yarn (heather cotton in this case) which essentially works to lock in your pattern yarn after each shot.

I've got some ideas coming that I want to try out with this particular overshot pattern...try and integrate what I've been exploring in my inlay work and adapt it to work in overshot patterns. The principle is the same for both inlay and overshot techniques - a pattern weft and a tabby weft - but in the case of overshot, the pattern is loom controlled and goes selvedge to selvedge, while inlay is hand-manipulated. I'm excited to see what I can do if I let myself play around with inlay ideas within an oveshot set-up. I'm thinking about shorelines, coastlines, that liminal, shifting line between sea and land.

And then on my walk home from the studio yesterday, I came across this scratch in the cement on the sidewalk and recognized a similarity to the pattern I had just been weaving.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous rug! I am anxious to try a crackle with rags now. If I get to Halifax this summer, I will surely visit your shop.
    Fran from Calgary

    ReplyDelete