Wednesday, February 3, 2010

winter's influence

January and February seem like a good time to re-assess work and life. I've been tweaking my scarf designs and considering new ways of doing things. In a post a few weeks ago, I showed an image of a custom order Wave scarf finished in a 1" hem-stitched fringe, instead of my usual 4" twisted fringe. I liked this so much, I have started finishing all my new Wave scarves in that way. It allows me to increase the woven length of the scarf (more cloth), while not increasing the amount of materials used. And I think it looks pretty darn classy. In the last week, I've been finishing up the last of my New Year's custom orders, a shorter Seaweed scarf for Kim in St. John's. She had seen the new hem-stitched fringe on the Wave scarf on my blog and requested the same finishing for her Seaweed scarf. A little hesitant at first because of the shrinking of the merino wool during felting, I figured out a way to make it work. I made a small sample scarf to test out the new fringe and gave it to Damien - he's been wearing it since the weekend. What do folks out there think of this new shorter fringe? I like it, but I would love some feedback.....


In other news, I have been loving the way my friend Shawn at Island Sweet coordinates an image of her handspun wool with an image of her colour inspiration. There is so much going on visually in our daily lives, and it's nice every now and then just to stop, and really take a look, and watch how that kernel of influence takes flight in our work.

2 comments:

  1. 培養健全孩子最好的方法是父母先成為健全的人。.........................

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for taking the time to post a comment! I only wish I could understand what you wrote....
    r.

    ReplyDelete