Wednesday, December 16, 2009

toronto trades

Despite not doing as well as I had hoped at the One of a Kind Show, one of the wonderful things about craft fairs is the trading that happens between artists. Usually I am very self-disciplined and rarely let myself make a purchase, let alone a trade until the last day. This year's One of a Kind was no exception, and the trades that I did make deserve attention.

My little neighborhood of booths was fantastic this year. Great people, great conversations, helping keep each other sane during the marathon 11 days. Directly across from me was the Raging Bowl Pottery, functional ceramics made by two potters, Dan and Melissa. Lovely lovely people and beautiful work. I traded a scarf for three of their "tumbly tumblers", perfect little cups with rounded bottoms that allow you to literally spin your cup to mix your drink. And they feel so nice in your hand...they've already been tested with a couple of celebratory gin and sodas.

My second trade was a big one. In my few chances to wander around the show, I found Jack and Marjorie bags. Made from recycled military surplus, these are understated and luxurious bags. Simple, functional, well made and beautiful - there was one bag in particular that I couldn't get out of my mind for a couple of days. And with a price tag that was higher than what I could ever afford, I just went to visit it on occasion. But, on the last Saturday of the show, a man came to my booth before opening and was asking me about my scarves and how he wanted to send one to his mother in Germany for Christmas. After talking with him for a few minutes, I noticed his name tag said he was Manuel from Jack and Marjorie. I told him I loved his bags, and we left it at that, saying we would talk again about the scarf. After thinking about it for maybe 5 minutes, I walked over to his booth and proposed a trade. And on Sunday, I traded two scarves for my Jarvis bag. One bag was for Megan, one half of the the couple that make the bags and the other was for Manuel's mother. Very sweet people and a wonderful little company that has an aesthetic that I aspire to. And they told me that they had actually been checking out my scarves on-line before the show. Big compliment!


The third thing I got at One of a Kind wasn't actually a trade. I bought a little button from Jenna Rose of flying Canada geese printed on cloth. Jenna was a couple of years behind me at NSCAD Textiles and has gone on to great success in her textile design - her work is constantly featured in Canadian magazines. Lots of great NSCAD Textiles alum success stories.....

2 comments:

  1. yes - it's a wonderful community...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this lovely post, and your kind words Rilla! I have worn my scarf every single time I've stepped outside the house since I got it. I absolutely love it, and my mother in law loves hers too. Best trade ever!

    ReplyDelete