Thursday, August 27, 2009

cuff/bracelet/wonder woman accessory




I set an assignment for myself this week as the fall craft fair season approaches: design and create a handwoven "product" that I can retail for under $25 and then throw it into production. With my least expensive scarf line starting at $60, I have been in need of a "bread and butter" production item for a while. I wanted to work with a warp plan that I already have figured out for my line of Echo scarves to reduce the time spent re-threading the loom. The handwoven cloth created for my Echo scarves is perfect for a cuff/bracelet: finished cloth is 3.5" selvedge to selvedge, it is a perfect balance of raw silk and cotton, and the over dyeing allows me to constantly create new palettes of colour for each one. After debating the different closures I could use and the hand labour involved in each (buttons or snaps involve time consuming hand sewing), my mom suggested velcro that I could stitch on while I machine stitch the hems. Cutting handwoven cloth is has always been a hard thing for me to do (I have always designed pieces that are complete from warp finishing to warp finishing, using no sewing), but I think in this case it is worth it. So, voila! My first prototype....I wore it last night and kept glancing down all evening to admire it. And for those asking: YES, they will be for sale at Halifax Crafters Art Harvest (Sept. 12-13), the St. John's Fine Craft and Design Fair (Nov. 4-8), and the Toronto One of a Kind Show (Nov. 26 - Dec. 6).

The air has shifted the last few days, and fall is here. I must say, I love this time of year. It feels like New Year, and the crisper breeze is full of change and optimism and a renewed dedication to working hard and learning new things.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely LOVE the cuff! Will you be selling them in St. John's at the Fine Craft & Design Fair in November??? (fingers crossed!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Rilla! You ARE a wonder woman! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Rilla. I know you'll do well with them.I look forward to seeing them on your etsy shop!
    Cheers to a very busy productive season ahead sister.
    Nikixo

    ReplyDelete