Wednesday, August 12, 2009

almost vacation



Damien and I head home to PEI for 9 days on Friday. Time to spend with family and friends in the beautiful August landscape of the Island. I'm bringing some of my work with me so I can spend time at the Confederation Centre Art Gallery planning out the logistics of my "Home Terrain" exhibition for November with the curator. Yesterday I started weaving what might be my last piece for the the exhibition, an aerial image of Rice Point, the rural community along PEI's south shore where I grew up from ages 10-17. This is an important place in my own personal narrative about Atlantic landscape and my relationship to the shore. I spent so much time exploring the beach, the back fields and the marshes of Rice Point when I was growing up and the space still looms large in my imagination. And the line of the shore itself is quite beautiful.

Once September starts, I will devote myself to scarf production, and I just decided that I could pull off participation in the Halifax Crafters' September show and sale after deciding not to do it back in July because I thought I wouldn't have enough scarf inventory. It is a great group of craftspeople and artists and I have been helping a little to organize this show. It is a very affordable show to do, lots of fun and even without lots of sales, it think it's a good move to give Marshall Arts some exposure in my current home city of Halifax. Above is a photo of the beautiful poster for the show, designed by my lovely friend and fellow weaver, Joanna Close. I'm happy I changed my mind about participating and looking forward to some creative entrepreneurship and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment