Thursday, July 30, 2009

home terrain blanket finished!!!





So, here it is. The literal fruit of my loom. A month's worth of full time work. I love it. It needs to be washed and laid flat to dry still, but other than that, it is finished. Here's the deets: handwoven using factory spun and hand spun wool (all from Atlantic Canada), all colours are natural dyed from dyes given to me or collected from my own kitchen or backyard, inlay technique to create the graph/landscapes, it measures approximately 58"wide x 88"long. It will be the centerpiece for my "Home Terrain" exhibition at the Confederation Centre Art Gallery this November, displayed horizontally (as a blanket should) on a low platform...I'm contemplating the possibility of putting objects such as sandstone rocks underneath it to create a sort of topography, like the blanket is a skin over the surface of the earth.

3 comments:

  1. Love this blanket! And love the name of your blog too! Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, it's lovely! congrats, rilla.

    ReplyDelete