Sunday, June 21, 2009

flying shuttle

I've been meaning to make a little video of me weaving a scarf for a while. I know I'm moving fast, but I didn't realize how fast until I asked Damien to shoot some footage of my body and the loom in action. Doing production weaving, I definitely get into a tight little rhythm of movement, where my feet pressing the treadles is synchronized with the flick of the shuttle in my hand and the beating of the reed until it is all one fluid series of motions indistinguishable from one another.
My friend and fellow textile artist Robyn Love quoted Anni Albers (one of a handful of pioneer women artists in the Bauhaus movement to bring weaving into the realm of modern art) in her blog recently, and I will do the same as it relates to the process this little video demonstrates: "Breathing does not express anything; one's work should be like breathing, essential to just being." And today being solstice, I see the echos of a rhythmic approach to creation reflected everywhere....

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating Rilla. I had no idea it was so physical in that way. And I *loved* that magical moment when the shuttle flies free...

    ReplyDelete