Saturday, February 21, 2009

take 2



sometimes it takes a couple of tries to work through a new idea, a new design. Yesterday I made one sample scarf, and after it was finished, washed and dyed, I studied it, took from it what I liked, and worked at adapting what needed improvement. The first sample, because of grouped threading in the warp, had weft floats that were much too long for a wearable, sell-able textile. Also, I wanted some pronounced stripes in the warp - in a way a summer version of my seaweed series - so I grouped the raw silk together for one direction of the herringbone points and and the two colours of cotton for the other direction of the herringbone points. Each scarf will be dyed after the weaving to colour the raw silk (but leaves the cotton alone) and make each one different.....

No comments:

Post a Comment