Friday, January 23, 2009

it's about time


well, finally - while I'm preparing fiber for my first time ever indigo dyeing - I am taking the time to set up a blog. This is exciting! This blog will be about my practice as a textile artist and a production weaver, and give me the chance to sit back and digest my activities, thoughts and inspirations revolving around my metier of handweaving. I have many friends in the art/craft community who have blogs and I check them often to keep my finger on the pulse of their practices, feel a sense of my community and comraderie, and stoke the fires of my conceptual and aesthetic stimulation.....
for starters, i am posting a photo of my current project. from new body of work I am creating for a four person exhibition in Halifax, NS from February 26 - April 12 at the Mary E. Black Gallery. I have been pouring over population statistics of Atlantic Canada, specifically to do with health and environment. I turn these numbers into graphs and them weave the graphs as landscapes, bringing in the visual influence of my coastal surroundings. This weaving in progress is depicting rates of cancer on Prince Edward Island juxtaposed with the use of chemicals in commercial agriculture......

1 comment: